Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location 31°48.288′N 35°6.744′E|
|City Abu Ghosh|
|Address Abu Ghosh Israel|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 31.80493,35.11248|
Abu Ghosh (Arabic: أبو غوش; Hebrew: אבו גוש) is an Arab Israeli town in Israel, located 10 kilometers (6.2 mi) west of Jerusalem on the Tel Aviv-Jerusalem highway. It is situated 610–720 meters above sea level. In 2010, it set the Guinness World Record for largest dish of hummus. Abu Ghosh is known for its good relations with the State of Israel and welcoming attitude toward Jewish Israelis.
History and time period
Abu Ghosh is one of the earliest areas of human habitation in Israel. Archaeological excavations have revealed 3 neolithic settlement phases, the middle phase is dated to the 7th millennium BCE. Its old Arabic name of Qaryat al'Inab ("Grape Village") has led Abu Ghosh to be identified with the biblical site of Kiryat Ye'arim. Legio X Fretensis of the Roman army had a station house in Abu Ghosh until the end of the 3rd century. The village has also been associated with Anathoth, the birthplace of the prophet Jeremiah.
Ottoman era: Abu Ghosh is the name of an Arab family that settled here in the early 16th century. According to the family tradition, they had Circassian descent, and the founder fought with Selim I. In the 18th century they lived in a village near Beit Nuba, from which they ruled the surrounding region. However, according to the tradition, the Bani Amir tribesmen and the villagers of Beit Liqya rose against them and slaughtered the entire Abu Ghosh clan except for one woman and her baby, who continued the Abu Ghosh name. The family controlled the pilgrimage route from Jaffa to Jerusalem, and imposed tolls on all pilgrims passing through. The churches in Jerusalem also paid a tax to the Abu Ghosh clan. In the 19th century, the village was also referred to as Kuryet el' Enab. The Abu Ghoshes were granted a “firman” to impose tolls on pilgrims and visitors to Jerusalem. The Abu Ghoshes were among the most known feudal families in Palestine. They governed 22 villages.The sheikh of Abu Ghosh lived in an impressive house described by pilgrims and tourists as a "true palace..., a castle..., a protective fortress...” Abu Ghosh was attacked by Egyptian military forces in the 1834 Arab revolt in Palestine. It was attacked again in 1853 during a civil war between feudal families under Ahmad Abu Ghosh who ordered his nephew Mustafa to go to battle. A third attack on AbuGhosh carried out by the Ottoman military forces, helped and executed by the British forces, during the military expedition against the feudal families in the 1860's. Kiryat Anavim, the first kibbutz in the Judean Hills, was founded near Abu Ghosh in 1914, on land purchased from the Abu Ghosh family.