Welcome to World Jewish Heritage

Rediscover your heritage like never before

Experience Jewish heritage travel to the fullest with the WJHtravel app

Ancient synagogue of La Mota

From World Jewish Heritage Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Ancient synagogue of La Mota

250px

Basic Information

Location Plasencia, Spain
Country Spain
City Plasencia
Address Plasencia, Spain

General Information

Open to visitors no
Need appointment no
Handicap accessibility no
Geographical Coordinates 40.0289,-6.0935


Summary

The only synagogue operating in the aljama of Plasencia since the foundation of the city by Alfonso VIII until its devastation in 1477 is situated in the area of La Mota. The rabbinic court of the aljama had its headquarters at the La Mota synagogue, classified by the Jewish community in 1488 as the best and oldest in all of Extremadura

                   <pThe church of St. Vincent Ferrer, which the residents of Plasencia call Santo Domingo (St. Dominics) as it belonged to the Dominicans, occupied the place where the old synagogue of La Mota used to be located, confiscated in 1477 by the Counts of Plasencia to expand the outbuildings of the palace and the future convent Its situation shows in the historic documentation.In 1455 the synagogue of La Mota is near the houses of the buult by Count Pedro de Zúñiga in the vicinity of the old house of Tel Díaz. A document from 1477 states that the demolished house of Rabbi Abraham de Aloya is situated near the de la casa que se agora faze e fazía mi palaçio e casas of the Count of Plasencia
                      Un documento de 1477 refiere que la casa derruida de rabí Abraham de Aloya se halla cerca de la casa que se agora faze e fazía mi palaçio e casas del conde de Plasencia</p>

In the archaeological excavations undertaken by Cristina Sánchez Hernández and Pedro Matesanz Vera in the Jewish quarter of La Mota and in the area of the St. Vincent convent material remains were found linked to worship at a synagogue such as a possible janukiya and a bronze pointer (in Hebrew, yad, currently at Cáceres Museum). In the construction of the church of St. Vincent Ferrer some headstones from the neighbouring Jewish cemetery of Berrocal were also used.


Photo Gallery

Related links



Tags

Type





Country

Spain

City

Plasencia



Affiliation