Welcome to World Jewish Heritage

Rediscover your heritage like never before

Experience Jewish heritage travel to the fullest with the WJHtravel app

Armon Hanatziv

From World Jewish Heritage Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Armon Hanatziv

Armon-Hantziv.jpg

Basic Information

Location 31° 45′ 14,55″ N, 35° 14′ 4,72″ E
Country Israel
City Jerusalem

General Information

Open to visitors no
Need appointment no
Handicap accessibility no
Website http://www.cityofdavid.org.il/tours/armon-hanatziv
Geographical Coordinates 14.61975,120.97192


General

Armon Hanatziv is a government structure that was built in Jerusalem during the period of the British Mandate and was used as the living place and office of the British High Commissioner. The British government called it "Government House". It is located on the top of Jabel Mukaber hill, which has a view of the Old City.

History and time period

History: After Jerusalem was conquered by the Brits in 1917 the Agusta Victoria compound was nationalized and became the main headquarter for the British army in Palestine. Between 1925 and 1927, Head Commissioner Herbert Plumer lived there until an earthquake fractured the building. Thus, a new living quarter was found for him, The Governors' House in East Talpiot (Armon Hanatziv). The building was inaugurated in 1933 in a lavish ceremony. It was used until the end of the British Mandate in 1948. The Commissioners used the palace to run the Mandate and it was also used for receptions and official parties. The British gave the building to the Red Cross during the War of Independence. There were battles in that area as the Arabs had posts on the east and the Israelis in the west. On August 17, 1948 Israeli troops took control of the hill without resistance, but in the morning Arab troops stormed the hill and conquered it. The Israeli troops were hit hard and many were killed and injured. In September 1948 the area was demilitarized. On October 7th, the building was handed over to the United Nations. During the six day war in 1967, Jordanian troops conquered Armon Hanztziv and fired at Israeli soldiers in the west. A few hours later, Israeli troops stormed the compound and the Jordanian troops withdrew. The UN flag was replaced with the Israeli flag. Four Israeli soldiers were killed in this battle. The compound was returned to the UN later that year .


Photo Gallery



Related links