Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location 40°47′24″N 73°58′35″W|
|Phone number (212) 787-7600|
|Country United States|
|City New York City|
|Address 257 W 88th St, New York, NY|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility yes|
|Geographical Coordinates 40.78999,-73.9764|
B'nai Jeshurun is a synagogue in the Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York City.
History and time period
Founded in 1825, B'nai Jeshurun was the second synagogue founded in New York and the third-oldest Ashkenazi synagogue in the United States.
The synagogue was founded by a coalition of young members of congregation Shearith Israel and immigrants and the descendants of immigrants from the German and Polish lands.
The present building was dedicated in 1917. It was designed by Henry B. Herts, a congregant and celebrated theater architect, with Walter S. Schneider. In addition to its place on the National Register of Historic Places, the synagogue was included in the New York City Riverside Drive-West End Historic District created in 1990. The muqarna-studded ceiling was redesigned following its collapse during renovations in the early 1990's and was replaced with a future-invoking space frame back-lit to simulate a nighttime sky.