Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
Beit Ariela Library
Beit Ariela Library
|Location Shaul HaMelech Blvd 25, Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel|
|City Tel Aviv-Yafo|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Geographical Coordinates 32.07635,34.78685|
The library was founded in 1886 in Jaffa at the initiative of the "Ezrat Israel" society ("Assistance to Israel") - the organization that helped to establish the first Jewish hospital in Jaffa and also initiated the construction of Neve Tzedek neighborhood. The Library was named then "A book collection".
In 1891 some other communities, such as "Ohavey Zion" ("Lovers of Zion"), "B'nei Brith" ("Sons of the Covenant") and "B'nei Moshe" ("Sons of Moses") associated in their support for the library, and since then the Library changed its name to "Shaar Zion" ("The Gates of Zion").
The Beit Ariela Library includes a reading hall, a lending department, and several special libraries. The Library includes more than half a million books in different languages (Hebrew, English, French, German, Russian, Spanish, and Yiddish). The Library provides its visitors access to databases in various fields of knowledge (in Hebrew and in English); registered borrowers may use this service from their homes. Besides the collections of books the Library possesses journals, newspapers, video recordings, photographs; the collection of musical CDs accounts about 8000. The Library subscribes to 180 different periodicals; there are about 8.5 thousand registered borrowers. The Library network throughout the City contains more than 20 branches and has around 34,920 active members.
History and time period
1922-1977 In 1922 the Library gained the status of the Municipal Library. In the period from 1921 to 1936 the library occupied the Polac building at the intersection of Herzl and Ahad Ha'am streets, and later moved to Ze'ev Gloskin building on Montefiore Street. In the early 60s when the Herzliya Gymnasium building was torn down for the construction of the Shalom Meir Tower, the library building was also demolished and the library was temporarily moved to premises on Shaul HaMelech Boulevard, not far from the place dedicated for the construction of a new Library Building.
1977-2014 In 1977 the Library was finally housed in its new building on Shaul HaMelech Boulevard. This new building was named Beit Ariela (Ariela's House) in honor of Ariela Giter, the daughter of a businessman, who donated a large sum of money for its construction.