Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location 7-11 Willett Street/Bialystoker Place New York, NY 10002|
|Phone number +1 212-475-0165|
|Country United States|
|City New York City|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment yes|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 40.71534,-73.98363|
The Bialystoker Synagogue at 7-11 Willett Street on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City, is an Orthodox Jewish synagogue. Today, the physical building is designated as an historic landmark, offering classes, shiurim, youth activities as well as the Tropper tape library. First designed by the Willett Street Methodist Episcopal Church, the synagogue is renowned for its architecture. The building’s exterior is noticeably made by three windows over three doors framed with round arches, a low flight of brownstone steps, a low pitched roof with a lunette window and a wooden cornice. According to legend, the synagogue was historically a stop point on the Underground Railroad and the synagogue’s attic previously housed slaves, looking for refuge.
History and time period
Established in 1896 on Hester street, the Bialystoker first relocated to Orchard Street, and subsequently to its current location on Willet Street, also known as Bialystoker Place. In 1905, the congregation, mainly comprised of Polish immigrants from the province of Bialystok, purchased the building to serve as their synagogue. During the Great Depression, the main sanctuary was renovated in order to provide a sense of hope for the community. In April 19 1966, the synagogue was registered as a New York City landmark, as it is one of only four early-19th century field stone religious buildings that remains from the late Federal period in Lower Manhattan. Until today, the Synagogue has continued to be a great influence in the Jewish religious world, with a large number of new families choosing to make it their place of prayer and study.