Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location Heydukova 11-13, Bratislava|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment yes|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 48.14684,17.11227|
Orthodox synagogue in Bratislava is the only Jewish synagogue in Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia. It was constructed in 1923 – 1926 on Haydukova Street in the Old Town in Cubist style, designed by the local Jewish architect Artur Szalatnai. The synagogue is an important example of Slovak religious architecture of the 20th century and it is listed as a Slovak National Cultural Monument. It is one of only four active synagogues in Slovakia and historically one of three in Bratislava, the other two were demolished in the 20th century. The building also houses the Bratislava Jewish Community Museum, installed upstairs, with a permanent exhibition “The Jews of Bratislava and Their Heritage” which is open to the public during the summer season.
History and time period
The architect Artur Szalatnai was selected by winning a competition for the project of a new synagogue. It was Szalatnai's first major work after finishing studies in Budapest. At the time of the construction, there were no houses in this part of Heydukova Street. The synagogue exterior has a tower-less, seven-pillared colonnade facing Heydukova Street. Entrance is situated at the building's eastern side, from the corridor connecting the street with the inner yard. The interior includes a large sanctuary in which modern steel-and-concrete construction and contemporary Cubist details are combined with historicist elements.