Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location Leon, Spain|
|Address Leon, Spain|
|Open to visitors no|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 42.5960,-5.5670|
Alongside St. Martín´s Square, the confluence between Mulhacín and Misericordia streets right in the heart of the Barrio Húmedo serves as the point of departure to tour a Jewish district which has remained at this site from the start of the 13th century until the expulsion decreed in 1492 and which still conserves a great deal of its medieval atmosphere and layout. Throughout the 13th century the Jews of León lived in relative freedom at their new location, sharing the main streets of the Jewish quarter with Christian residents and owning, in turn, houses in other areas of León.
This time when the Jews recovered part of the lost glory at their previous site of Castro de los Judíos featured some of the most relevant figures of the Jewish quarter in León such as the wise Kabbalist Moses de León. As from the early 15th century the freedom of movement enjoyed by the Jews until then began to be limited, particularly with the ruling stated in 1480 by the Courts of Toledo which required Jewish families to group around certain streets and strictly regulated their relations with the Christians.