Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location Barcelona, Spain|
|Address Barcelona, Spain|
|Open to visitors no|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 41.3819,2.17585|
Castell Nou, a former Vice-count's castle, was one of the landmark building of the Call. Located in the current Banys Nous street, it occupied the current block between Call, Avinyó and Ferran streets. The castle was one of the strongholds built in the county period above the Roman gate to protect the city's western gate.
Although during the 14th century it was used as a prison, Castell Nou's history is bound up with the slaughters of 1391 when it was used as a refuge for hundreds of persecuted Jews and when it was attacked on August 7th by those critical to the Jews
The castle gradually became run down with the passage of time. The final remains of this castle - also known by the names of Hercules Tower and Cató Tower - disappeared when Ferran street was opened in the mid-19th century. Call street formed a small square near the castle where the Jewish oven was located. Various documents tell us of collapses and the need to make repairs. A large part of the castle fell in 1553 and the final remains (Torre de Cató) collapsed in 1848 with the opening of Ferran street.