Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
Congregation Berith Sholom
|Location 167 3rd St, Troy, NY|
|Phone number (518) 272-8872|
|Country United States|
|City New York City|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility yes|
|Geographical Coordinates 42.72599,-73.69152|
Congregation Berith Sholom (Covenant of Peace) is a synagogue in Troy, New York. The synagogue is the oldest continuously used synagogue in the state of New York, the second oldest house of worship in the state outside of the city of New York and one of the oldest synagogue buildings in the United States.
History and time period
The congregation was formally founded in 1866 by members of two other congregations, its name was originally spelled Baris Sholem. The building, which is still in use, was built in the summer of 1870, and finished in time for the High Holy Days. Reform ritual was adopted around 1890 and the congregation joined the Union of American Hebrew Congregations in 1920. Around 1953 an addition was built to house the religious school. The building is part of the Central Troy Historic District.