Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location Talavera, Santa Ana de Coro, Falcón, Venezuela|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 11.40853,-69.67622|
The "Casa de Oración Hebrea", mostly known as the Coro Synagogue, is one of the oldest synagogues in Latin America
The synagogue was originally a house built in 1774, bought on July 30, 1847 by Mr. David Abraham Senior, a Sephardic trader from Curacao who lived in the city and formed part of the growing Jewish community of the city.
Before that, the community used to gather at the house of Mr. David Valencia to pray. It is known that around 20 people gathered there for the sabbath and daily prayer services. Isaac Senior, David's son and his descendants continued living in the house and using one of its rooms as a prayer hall, until the 1880's.
On February 6, 1986, the house was bought by the government of Venezuela, and on August 3rd, 1997, the government of Falcon State reopened the house under the name of "Casa de Oración Hebrea" (Hebrew Prayer House).
It was acknowledged as an important cultural contribution that forms part of the sephardic heritage in this region of northern Venezuela. The synagogue is on Talavera Street, in the city's Old Quarter and it's floors are covered in sand from the Médanos de Coro, in the same fashion as the sea sand that covers the floor of Mikvé Israel-Emanuel Synagogue in Willemstad, Curaçao, from where the community arrived from more than two centuries ago.
Currently, the synagogue is part of the Alberto Henríquez Museum of Art, which belongs to Universidad Francisco de Miranda. In 2009, the university contacted the Israelite Association of Venezuela in order to find support for the restoration and maintenance of the synagogue.