Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location 31° 46′ 29″ N, 35° 14′ 2″ E|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 31.77472,35.23389|
The Dung Gate (also known as Sha'ar Ha'ashpot, Gate of Silwan, Mughrabi Gate, Arabic: باب المغاربة) is one of the gates in the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem.
The gate is situated near the southeast corner of the old city, southwest of the Temple Mount.
The gate is the closest to the Western Wall and is a main passage for vehicles. It was originally much smaller, but was enlarged in 1952, after the Old City came under Jordanian control in 1948. After its capture by Israel in 1967, architect Shlomo Aronson was commissioned to renovate this gate. Directly behind the gate lies the entrance to the Western Wall compound.
The name Sha'ar Ha'ashpot appears in the Book of Nehemiah:3:13-14. It is probably named after the residue that was taken from the Jewish Temple into the Valley of Hinnom, where it was burned. This ancient "Dung Gate" may not have been in the same location as the modern gate.
The name Mughrabi gate (Bab al-Magharibeh) refers to the Moroccan Quarter (Mughrabi quarter), no longer in existence, which was situated near the area.