Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
Eldridge Street Synagogue
|Location 12 Eldridge Street, New York, NY 10002|
|Phone number +1 212-219-0888|
|Country United States|
|City New York City|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility yes|
|Geographical Coordinates 40.71472,-73.99344|
Eldridge Street Synagogue was designed and built more than a century ago by Jewish Eastern European immigrants. The synagogue opened in 1887, becoming the spiritual home for the first Eastern European Orthodox Jewish congregation in America. The synagogue is now home to the Eldridge Street Museum which offers tours, school programs, concerts, lectures, festivals and other cultural events, for people from all around the world.
History and time period
On September 4, 1887, the Eldridge Street Synagogue was opened to hundreds of new Polish and Russian immigrants. The Eldridge Street Synagogue became a gathering place for the immigrants to pray, socialize and ultimately build a Jewish community. This marked the first time in American history that Jews of Eastern Europe had built a synagogue from the ground up. The synagogue marked a newly-found religious freedom for Eastern European Jewish immigrants, as they could now worship openly and freely.. In addition to this religious freedom, the synagogue was also symbolic of the immigrant’s economic aspirations. Prominent cantors were hired by the congregation and in 1918, Rabbi Aharon Yudelovitch, the first in a series of famed Talmudists and speakers, was appointed by the congregation. For fifty years, the synagogue flourished. From the synagogues establishment in 1887 throughout the 1920s, thousands of Jews participated in Jewish gatherings and religious services in the Eldridge Street Synagogue. Today, Eldridge Street Synagogue continues to be home to Kahal Adath Jeshurun, a small Orthodox congregation. This congregation has never missed a Saturday or Jewish holiday service in over 120 years.