Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
First Seat of the Yivo
First seat of the Yivo
|Location Vilnius University, History Faculty Universiteto 7 Vilnius 01513, Lithuania|
|Phone number +3705 268-7187|
|Open to visitors no|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 54.68716,25.27965|
YIVO was established in 1925 in Wilno, Poland (now Vilnius, Lithuania) as the Yidisher Visnshaftlekher Institut, Yiddish Scientific Institute, is a source for orthography, lexicography, and other studies related to the Yiddish language. The English name of the organization was changed to the Institute for Jewish Research subsequent to its relocation to New York City, although it is still primarily known by its Yiddish acronym.
From 1934-1940, YIVO operated a graduate training program known as the Aspirantur. Named after Zemach Shabad, YIVO’s chairman, the program held classes and guided students in conducting original research in the field of Jewish studies. Many of the students' projects were sociological in nature (reflecting the involvement of Max Weinreich) and gathered information on contemporary Jewish life in the Vilna region.