Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location 32°3′27.33″N 34°46′17.61″E|
|City Tel Aviv-Yafo|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility yes|
|Geographical Coordinates 32.05761,34.77143|
Florentine is a neighborhood in the southern part of Tel Aviv, Israel, named after David Florentine, a Greek Jew who purchased the land in the late 1920's. Development of the area was spurred by its proximity to the Jaffa–Jerusalem railway. A gentrification campaign sponsored by the Tel Aviv municipality in the 1990's led to a revival of the area, which has become a trendy night spot. Florentine property prices increased from 2001 to 2010 by 65% according to Maariv (May 17, 2010). This is in contrast to 45% for the rest of Tel Aviv. The population there in the same period nearly doubled from 3900 people to 7000 people, of which today 21% are between the 35–44 age range, 33.7% are between the ages of 25-34 and children till the age of 17 are 7% of the population. The area's hip/trendy atmosphere has led to comparisons with Soho and the Lower East Side in New York City.
History and time period
The land was purchased in the 1920's by the Salonika-Palestine Investment Company, founded in 1921 by Jews in Salonika to develop commercial relations with Jewish settlements in Palestine. After World War I, antisemitism in Greece combined with the economic effects of the 1917 fire which wrecked the city and the economic decline due to the loss of the hinterland of the - now Greek - port led to a limited Jewish immigration. This current increased after a pogrom in 1931 in which the one of the city's many Jewish quarters was destroyed. In 1924, the Salonika-Palestine Company sent an envoy to Palestine to purchase land in Jaffa, south of Tel Aviv's Rehov Herzl, in an area bordering Neveh Tzedek and Ahuzat Bayit that was close to the Jaffa-Jerusalem railroad. Due to Ottoman land laws, building in the area was held up until 1933. That year, the Jaffa Municipality approved a plan to develop light industry and trade in the neighborhood. Small factories and workshops were opened on the ground floors of the new residential buildings, providing a source of income for the wave of immigrants settling in Palestine at the time.