Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location Girona, Spain|
|Address Girona, Spain|
|Open to visitors no|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 41.9867,2.82517|
Força street, the main thoroughfare of the medieval city and the Jewish quarter, also corresponds to the Roman cardus and Vía Augusta and it takes its name from the fortress which Girona represents.
Known since the end of the Middle Ages as Sant Llorenç street, on its Western side the call opened out into narrow, steep streets like that of Lluís Batlle, the former Synagogue street, Hernández street which still has its access closed, Cúndaro street or the upper stretch of Força street which received the street names Major del Call Judaic or del Mercadell as a medieval market was located at the end of it. At the end of the 14th century this street was declared by the Christian authorities to be a space forbidden to Jews and was renamed Sant Llorenç street.
In addition to Court dignitaries, doctors, financiers, scholars or intellectuals, the Jews of Girona were, in the main, traders or craftsmen with trades like binders, book sellers, cobblers, silversmiths, barbers, tailors, weavers, fur traders, mattresses makers, potters...In 1339 the rich silversmith Bonjudá Cresques, along with his son-in-law Saltell Gracià, lent the jurors 17,000 sueldos to carry out different works in the city Astruc Ravaya, the Girona royal bailiff, acted as a delegate to King Pedro the Great when buying castles around Catalonia; his son Jucef was the royal treasurer of Catalonia and his other son Mossé was the general bailiff Catalonia and he granted the foundation charter of the town of Palamós in the king's name.