Welcome to World Jewish Heritage

Rediscover your heritage like never before

Experience Jewish heritage travel to the fullest with the WJHtravel app

Golondrinas (Swallows) Synagogue

From World Jewish Heritage Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Golondrinas (Swallows) Synagogue

250px

Basic Information

Location Toledo, Spain
Country Spain
City Toledo
Address Toledo, Spain

General Information

Open to visitors no
Need appointment no
Handicap accessibility no
Geographical Coordinates 39.8578,-4.0294


Summary

The archaeological excavations of 2006 at the house at number 29 of Bulas street confirm the existence of an old synagogue alongside the house which formed a corner with Bulas street and the entrance to the former Golondrinos alley. Jean Passini refers to it as the synagogue de los Golondrinos (of the swallows).

In the second half of the 15th century a synagogue is mentioned, using it as a point of reference in the description of two houses in the parish of San Román. The first, which belonged to don Abraham batidor, was erected on the wall-walks of Sancho Padilla (the current Esquivias alley). It adjoined the house of the silk dealer Diego López and at the rear, a Jewish synagogue. The second house belonged in 1488 to a converted Jew, Lope de Acre. It is described at that time on the wall-walks of los Golondrinos, having a dividing wall with a yard which used to be a synagogue of the Jews. The Libro de Capellanias (Book of Chaplaincies) dated 1577 states that the house stood at the corner of Bulas street-Golondrinos alley. The ownership deeds of the monastery also state that it had a cellar under it with its door opening out onto Bulas street, a door which still existed until 2009.

Along with the remains of the synagogue, the remains have been found of a ritual bath or Mikveh, which we can compare with that Besalú, a closed space, endowed with solid walls, stone arches and water piping which consisted of a small room with a barrel vault, accessible from the street via an independent gate. An underground system, certified by the existence in the vicinity of a well called Aizco, supplied the running water required. An interior side corridor allowed passage from the vaulted room to the synagogue.


Photo Gallery

Related links



Tags

Type





Country

Spain

City

Toledo



Affiliation