Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
Great Synagogue of Florence
|Location 43° 46′ 22″ N, 11° 15′ 59″ E|
|Phone number +39 055 234 6654|
|Address Via Luigi Carlo Farini, 6 50121 Florence|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility yes|
|Geographical Coordinates 43.77265,11.26646|
The Great Synagogue of Florence or Tempio Maggiore is a notable synagogue in Florence, Italy.
History and time period
The synagogue was built between 1874 and 1882.
Layers of travertine and granite alternate in the masonry, creating a striped effect like that of the Siena Cathedral. Old photographs show bold red and beige stripes, but the bold colors of the stone have faded over time, leaving a more mottled effect.
Inside the building every square inch is covered with colored designs in Moorish patterns.
During World War II Fascist soldiers used the synagogue as a vehicle garage. In August 1944 retreating German troops worked with Italian Fascists to destroy the synagogue, but the Italian resistance managed to defuse most of the explosives. Only a limited amount of damage was done. The synagogue was restored after the war. It was restored again after damage by massive flooding in 1966.