Welcome to World Jewish Heritage

Rediscover your heritage like never before

Experience Jewish heritage travel to the fullest with the WJHtravel app

Hamat Tiberias

From World Jewish Heritage Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Hamat Tiberias

250px

Basic Information

Location 32°46′6.51″N 35°32′54.43″E
Country Israel
City Tiberias

General Information

Open to visitors yes
Need appointment no
Handicap accessibility no
Geographical Coordinates 32.76871,35.54844



Summary

Hamat Tiberias is an ancient archaeological site and an Israeli national park known as Hamat Tverya National Park that is located on the Tiberias-Zemach road that runs along the shore of the Kinneret to Tiberias. Second century Hammata is believed to have been built on the ruins of the biblical city of Hammath.


History and time period

The 17 springs of Hamat Tiberias have been known since antiquity for their curative properties. The site was discovered in 1920 when the Tiberias-Zemach road was being constructed. The Hamei Tveriya natural hot springs are located on the grounds of the park. According to the sages of the Talmud, the springs were constantly hot as they stream past the entrance of Hell.


Synagogue

The Hammat Tiberias Synagogue is an ancient synagogue on the outskirts of Tiberias, Israel, located near the hot springs just south of the city. The synagogue dates to 286 and 337 CE, when Tiberias was the seat of the Sanhedrin. Two synagogue sites have been excavated at Hammat Tiberias. The first, uncovered in 1921 by Nachum Slouschz, working under the sponsorship of the Jewish Palestine Exploration Society, was a watershed event in the history of Israeli archaeology as the first archaeological dig conducted under Jewish auspices. A limestone menorah uncovered there is now on display at the Israel Museum. The mosaic floor is made up of three panels featuring the zodiac and Helios the sun god. Women symbolizing the four seasons appear in each corner. The second synagogue site, excavated by Moshe Dothan, is noted for its elaborate mosaic floor. The synagogue, dated to the last half of the fourth century C.E., was named after an inscription that reads, in Greek, "Severus the pupil of the most illustrious patriarchs," an apparent reference to the leaders of the Jewish community. In the center of one large mosaic is the Sun god, Helios, sitting in his chariot holding the celestial sphere and a whip. Nine of the 12 signs of the zodiac survived intact. Another panel shows a Torah ark flanked by two the seven-branched menorahs and other Jewish ritual objects.

Photo Gallery



Related links