Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location 50° 3′ 4″ N, 19° 56′ 50″ E|
|Phone number 12 430 64 49|
|Address Józefa 38, Kraków|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility yes|
|Geographical Coordinates 50.05111,19.9471|
High Synagogue is an inactive Orthodox Jewish synagogue in the Kazimierz District of Kraków, Poland. It was called the High (or Tall) Synagogue for many centuries for it was the tallest synagogue in the city. It was built in 1556-1563. It was the third synagogue to be erected in Kazimierz. Originally, the prayer rooms were located on the second floor above ground floor shops.
During the occupation of Poland in World War II, the Nazis stripped the interior of all equipment. The ceiling and roof were destroyed. At present only the stone niche for the Aron Kodesh and the wall-paintings uncovered early in the 21st century by art conservation remain. Gabled-windowed top floor, synagogue ceiling and roof were renovated in 2008 as part of the ongoing repairs.
The High Synagogue serves as a Landmark Conservation building. Since 2005 it has been open to visitors. Photographic and other exhibitions about customs and traditions of the Jewish community of the interwar period are staged indoors.