Welcome to World Jewish Heritage

Rediscover your heritage like never before

Experience Jewish heritage travel to the fullest with the WJHtravel app

Jewish Museum Vienna

From World Jewish Heritage Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Jewish Museum Vienna

Jewish Museum Vienna.JPG

Basic Information

Location 48°12′26″N 16°22′08″E
Phone number 01 5350431
Country Austria
City Vienna
Address Innere Stadt, 1010 Vienna, Austria

General Information

Open to visitors yes
Need appointment no
Handicap accessibility yes
Website http://www.jmw.at/en
Geographical Coordinates 48.20716,16.36872


Summary

The Jewish Museum Vienna is a museum of Jewish history, life and religion in Austria. The present museum was founded in 1988 in the Palais Eskeles in the Dorotheergasse, Vienna, and has distinguished itself by a very active program of exhibitions.


History and time period

The first Jewish Museum in Vienna, founded in 1896 was the first Jewish museum in the world of its sort. Immediately after the Anschluss by Nazi Germany in 1938 the museum was closed, and its contents were distributed among the Museum of Ethnology, the Natural History Museum and other repositories. The Natural History Museum used its new acquisitions to mount the anti-Semitic exhibition "The Corporeal and Spiritual Properties of the Jews".

In 1986 the establishment of a new Jewish museum in Vienna was announced by the then Bürgermeister, Helmut Zilk, in New York at the opening of the exhibition "Vienna 1900 - Art, Architecture and Design". On the foundation committee, among many others, were representatives of the Austrian state, the city of Vienna, the Jewish Community in Vienna, the Vienna Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein and Helmut Zilk.

In 1993 the Palais Eskeles in the Dorotheergasse in Vienna was put at the disposal of the museum by the auction house Dorotheum.

On 24 November 1994 Paul Grosz, president of the Israelitische Kultusgemeinde Wien, opened the museum library.

In 1995/1996 the Palais Eskeles was given its present shape by a Viennese team of architects. The modernization created more convenient display spaces and increased storage, and added a coffee house and a specialist bookshop.





Notes

Museum Hours Mon-Thu, Sun: 10am–6pm Fri: 10am–2pm Sat: Closed


Photo Gallery



Related links