Welcome to World Jewish Heritage

Rediscover your heritage like never before

Experience Jewish heritage travel to the fullest with the WJHtravel app

Jewish Quarter Educational Centre

From World Jewish Heritage Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Jewish Quarter Educational Centre

250px

Basic Information

Location Calle la Judería Vieja, 12, Segovia, Spain
Country Spain
City Segovia

General Information

Open to visitors yes
Need appointment no
Handicap accessibility yes
Geographical Coordinates 40.94946,-4.12475


Summary

During 1482, the Jewish quarter of Segovia was enclosed by 7 gates, which still remain today. Today, the quarter is made up of the remains of synagogues, palaces, museums and buildings which evoke its Jewish heritage. This area is distinct from that of the other routes comprising Segovia, as it is riddled with Jewish history. One may find the Jewish cemetery of Pinarillo on the other side of Clamores stream where additional burial remains can still be seen. The educational center is located in a building that was part of the property of Abraham Seneor.

General

The Jewish quarter Educational Center can be found at number 12 of Juderia Vieja street. The center was established in memory of Andrés Laguna, one of the city's most famous residents, an eminent doctor and humanist from the 16th century and the descendant of converted Jews. The center can be accessed via the courtyard and consists of panels, touchscreens and holographic projections which reproduce, in full detail, the celebration of the Jewish Shabbat in a virtual synagogue. The information provided at the center is both in English and Spanish and is aimed at those who do not have a vast knowledge of Jewish history. Another main feature of the center is the shop, from which Jewish memorabilia can be purchased.

History and time period

The initial presence of Jews in the city of Segovia dates back to 1215. During this time, the bishop of the city, Giraldo, banned gambling between Jews and Christians in the parish of San Miguel right in the centre of the city. This is a clear depiction if the daily cohabitation between the two groups and the settlement of the Jews in the center of Segovia. In 1252, Pope Innocent IV to the Segovian bishop Raimundo de Losana set a mandate in which Jews were forced to wear a distinctive sign on their attire


Photo Gallery



Related links