Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
Lillian and Albert Small Jewish Museum
|Location 38° 53′ 54.6″ N, 77° 0′ 54″ W|
|Phone number (202) 789-0900|
|Country United States|
|Address 701 3rd St NW, Washington, DC|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility yes|
|Geographical Coordinates 38.89858,-77.01488|
The Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum, also known as the Adas Israel Synagogue, is the oldest surviving synagogue building in the District. It was erected in 1876 by the Adas Israel Congregation. The museum is operated by the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington.
The museum building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the D.C. Inventory of Historic Sites, and Historic American Buildings Survey. It is among the oldest synagogue buildings still standing in the United States.
History and time period
Ulysses S. Grant attended the synagogue's dedication on June 9, 1876 — the first Jewish service attended by a sitting U.S. president. The congregation moved to a new building in 1908. Originally located at 6th and G Streets Northwest, Washington, D.C., the building was moved to its current location three blocks away in 1969.