Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location Barcelona, Spain|
|Address Barcelona, Spain|
|Open to visitors no|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 41.3810,2.17589|
In medieval Barcelona there were two Jewish districts: Main Call and Minor call, also called Sanahuja or Àngela. The two calls were not connected to each other, but we believe that when the streets of Banys Nous, Boqueria and Avinyó began to be urbanised - in other words, after the opening of the Roman wall - the communication was much more direct. In between the two Jewish quarters was Castell Nou (New Castle). And also equidistant between the two districts was the Banys Nous or New Baths building which were public and not restricted on religious, racial or gender grounds.
Minor call is also known as Call de N´Àngela or Call d´En Sanahuja, names which refer to the plot owners. The district is an urbanisation planned in the 13th century formed by five blocks with a synagogue and a square and situated alongside Castell Nou via its external part, in other words, on the exterior of the Roman wall. Minor call had no direct connection to Mayor. Its limits were the streets of Boqueria, Rauric, Lleona and Avinyó. It had two gates, one near Castell Nou, via the exterior side, and the other on Boqueria street, next to Rauric street which was possibly a gate mentioned in 1255. Boqueria street was the street which led to the quarter. Several alleys came out from the latter as far as Trinitat square (which disappeared when Ferran street was opened). This street was later occupied by converts who set up their businesses there: goldsmiths, veil weavers, tailors, cobblers...
Volta del Remei street, entering via Boqueria, also conserves a medieval tower from the 13th century; it had previously been called Arc d´en Sanahuja street. If observed from Ferran street the rear of the so-called tower-house can be seen, much less reworked than the front.