Welcome to World Jewish Heritage

Rediscover your heritage like never before

Experience Jewish heritage travel to the fullest with the WJHtravel app

New Call. Puig Mercadal

From World Jewish Heritage Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

New Call. Puig Mercadal


Basic Information

Location Castello, Spain
Country Spain
City Castello
Address Castello, Spain

General Information

Open to visitors no
Need appointment no
Handicap accessibility no
Geographical Coordinates 42.2582,3.07554


At the end of the 13th century the Jewish community endeavoured to come closer to the area which then constituted the nerve centre of the town, the so-called Puig Mercadal where, as its name suggests, brought together crafts and commerce. In all likelihood, this shift from the outskirts to the interior was driven on by the Jews' wish to be located closer to the count's palace with a view to his protection and the money-lending business, making the most of a time of great tolerance.

This new call, which, in reality, was no more than a prolongment of the original one, spread to the east side of Puig Mercadal in the area currently limited by Sant Pere Baix street and Peixeteries velles street which converged at the old Plaça del Peix.

The new call had a new synagogue. It has been possible to confirm its location on Peixeteries Velles street thanks to the notarial documentation conserved where the property's boundaries are defined. The oldest document attesting to the existence of the old synagogue dates back to 1281. Its surface area and environment have remained under the same conditions and the two adjoining courtyards have not been built on. One is situated to the east with an access gate to Peixeteries Velles street and the other, situated to the north, in the centre of the block.

There is a record of a street with colonnades which was added later to an adjoining villa located to the north of the synagogue via which there was access to this courtyard. At present, the building has been restored and converted into Hotel de la Moneda.

The synagogue was expanded and restored in 1321. In 1420 it was sold and converted into a boarding house. The building is still conserved today, having been converted into a private home known as can Vicenç Comas.

Photo Gallery

Related links