Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
New Jewish Quarter of Tudela
New Jewish Quarter of Tudela
|Location Calle San Miguel, Tudela, Spain|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility yes|
|Geographical Coordinates 42.06561,-1.60722|
The creation of the New Jewish quarter of Tudela is linked to the name of Sancho VI the Wise.Sancho VI the Wise promoted the development of this new district which was cohabited from 1170, under the protection of the castle which dominated the city from the Santa Bárbara hill.
The orography characterizes the peculiar structure of the district, developed from the two parallel thoroughfares formed by San Miguel and Paseo del Castillo. Via Caldereros street and Guerreros street, the route goes into the heart of the New Jewish quarter by means of steps and narrow roads which maintain the layout of the medieval district. Sotarraño street connects to San Miguel street in a popular district where the last spell in the lives of the Jews of Tudela was played out, until their expulsion in 1498, six years after the decree of the Catholic Monarchs was signed.
Some illustrious families like the Abenpasat gained the privilege of remaining on the original plot of the Old Jewish quarter, now reduced to the immediate vicinity of Huerto del Rey street. Self-evidently, the simultaneous occupation of the two districts demonstrates the high population of this community, perhaps coinciding with the almost permanent presence of the King and his court in the capital of the Ribera.
History and time period
In 1170, Sancho VI the Wise allowed the Jews to sell their houses and set up alongside the Castle in the New Jewish quarter which replaced the Vétula or old Jewish quarter. It is highly likely that until the plots of the new site had been prepared, both sites coexisted. In the middle of 1177, mention is made of the Jewish synagogue at its former plot.
This new district soon spilled over the fence of the Wall and extended round the mound until almost reaching the gates of the parish church of San Salvador, to the south, and via the east to the walls of the Moorish quarter in the direction of La Planilla. With the passage of time and in more permissive situations, such as the reigns of the last Evreux (1350-1425), the Jewish quarter, as an inhabited space, gradually began to move towards the plots of Christians situated outside the castle such as the district of Aljuneyna – near the Church of San Miguel – and as far as the outskirts of the parish of San Pedro were houses of Jews are recorded since the early years of the 14th century. The references in the 15th century to the gates of the Jewish quarter could refer to those already in place inside the castle or to new openings in the new enclosure, outside the walls of the fortress. In any case, the limits of the Jewish district were very diffuse and imprecise. The gradual loss of members left many spaces empty which had previously belonged to the Jews.