Welcome to World Jewish Heritage

Rediscover your heritage like never before

Experience Jewish heritage travel to the fullest with the WJHtravel app

Old Yishuv Court Museum

From World Jewish Heritage Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Old Yishuv Court Museum

Hhh kitchen.jpg

Basic Information

Location 31°46′31″N 35°13′49″E
Phone number 02-6276319
Country Israel
City Jerusalem

General Information

Open to visitors yes
Need appointment no
Handicap accessibility no
Website http://www.jewish-quarter.org.il/atar-museum.asp
Geographical Coordinates 31.77528,35.23028


General

Old Yishuv Court Museum is an ethnographic museum located at the edge of the Jewish Quarter, near the Armenian Quarter in the Old City of Jerusalem. The museum reflects the traditional lifestyle of the old town, two hundred years before the fall of the Jewish Quarter in the War of Independence. In the museum there is plenty of furniture, clothing and rooms that reflect the character of "the Jewish court". This courtyard included a shared central space surrounded by small apartments. This space was shared by the tenants and included a water pit, herbs, a kitchen and a laundry area. In the museum there are two courtyards, which include the apartments around them, and two synagogues. The museum is located in the apartments and the items are arranged chronologically. They present the way of life in the Ashkenazi and Sephardi families from the 19th century up to the end of the mandate. The items in the museum include charms and wedding dresses.

History and time period

The museum was established after the Six Day War, during the restoration of the Jewish Quarter, by Rebecca Weingarten, the daughter of Rabbi Avraham Mordechai Weingarten, The museum, was opened to the public in 1976. The museum was built in the Weingarten courtyard - one of the Jewish families in which the owner of the courtyard (most of the houses were owned by Muslims who rented them to Jews).


Synagogue

Located in the the museum complex is a the Ari Sephardic synagogue. The synagogue was founded during the Ottoman period and is named after Rabbi Isaac Luria (the Ari. It Served as a Sephardi synagogue. At first it was used secretly but since the second half of the 19th century it was used openly. The synagogue was active until the Arab outbreak between 1936 and 1939, during which it was burned and looted.

Opening Hours

Sun-Thur 10:00-15:00 Fri 10:00-13:00

Photo Gallery



Related links