Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility yes|
|Geographical Coordinates 52.35741,4.88309|
The Ravensbrück Memorial Site, which has been expanded to include extensive parts of the historical concentration camp complex, nowadays combines remembrance, research and historical-political educational work. The Ravensbrück International Youth Exchange Site with an affiliated youth hostel was opened in 2002. The educational services office organizes events lasting over a period of several days. In addition, tours and project days are offered. Since 2007, the tour has begun and ended in the new Visitor’s Center.
History and time period
The Ravensbrück Concentration Camp, built starting in November 1938 close to the small town of Fürstenberg/Havel, was the only large concentration camp on German soil which was designed as a “protective custody camp” for women. Between 1939 and 1945, 132,000 women, 20,000 men and 1,000 young women from the ”Youth Protection Camp Uckermark” were registered as prisoners. The prisoners came from over 40 countries; there were also many Jews as well as Sinti and Roma among them. Tens of thousands were murdered or died from hunger, illness or medical experimentation. After the Red Army liberated the camp on April 30th, 1945, the land was used by them for military purposes until 1994. The Ravensbrück Memorial Site, opened outside of the historical camp walls in 1959, has been a part of the Brandenburg Memorial Foundation since 1993.