Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location 31.7691°N 35.1273°E|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 31.76309,35.12751|
Sataf (Arabic: صطاف, Hebrew: סטף) was an Arab village in the District of Jerusalem depopulated during the 1948 Arab–Israeli War. It is located 10 km west of Jerusalem, with Sorek riverbed ("Wadi al-Sarar") bordering the east. Two springs, "Ein Sataf" and "Ein Bikura" flow from the site into the riverbed, below.
History and time period
Remains and agricultural traces of a 4,000 BCE Chalcolithic village were discovered at the site. Remains were also found from the Byzantine era. In 1945, the village had a total population of 540. A monastery is located south of Wadi al-Sarar called Habis Monastery. On July 13, 1948 the Arab village was depopulated by the Har'el Brigade, during "Operation Dani". A short time after the 1948 War, a small group of Jewish immigrants from North Africa settled for a few months in the village area. In the 1980s the Jewish National Fund began the restoration of ancient agricultural terraces, and the area around the springs has been turned into an Israeli tourist site. A forest around the site was also planted by the Jewish National Fund.