Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location Girona, Spain|
|Address Girona, Spain|
|Open to visitors no|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 41.9856,2.82544|
In the 12th century the Jewish community moved to the lower part of the old city. In 1160 they already lived in the call , a Catalan name for the Jewish districts coming from the Latin callis. In the Middle Ages it meant «set of narrow streets».
During the course of the 13th and 14th centuries these paved, narrow and labyrinthic streets constitute the urban space where the majority of the Jewish population of Girona and its institutions were located and also where Christian workshops and houses were established. It was after the conflicts of the 14th century that the call became a space of confinement. In 1448 a municipal order gave a timeframe of six days to abandon the houses that the Jewish families had outside the site and move to the delimited space of the reduced call.
The call had a fishmonger's, an oven and a butcher's which ensured the faithful had Kosher food. We know that in the 15th century there was a butcher's annexed to one of the synagogues right in the centre of the call where an expert rabbi, the shojet, would carry out the ritual throat-cutting(shejitá) of the animals and the subsequent examination of the meat. There were also institutions characteristic of the aljama: a hospital, an orphanage, a charity house and the synagogue.
Away from the city centre, on the Montjuïc mountain side, the Jews had their own cemetery.
In the latter half of the 15th century, the call gradually became an ever smaller area, turning into a place of confinement and exclusion from the medieval city.