Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
The Freud Museum
The Freud Museum
|Location 51° 32′ 54″ N, 0° 10′ 40″ W|
|Phone number +44 20 7435 2002|
|Country United Kingdom|
|Address 20 Maresfield Gardens, Hampstead, London|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility yes|
|Geographical Coordinates 51.54828,-0.17794|
The Freud Museum in London is a museum dedicated to Sigmund Freud, who lived there with his family since 1938 after escaping the Nazi annexation of Austria.
The centerpiece of the museum is the couch brought from Berggasse 19, Vienna, on which his patients were asked to say everything that came to their mind without consciously selecting information, named the free association technique by him.
There is a temporary exhibitions room which hosts alternate contemporary art and Freud-themed exhibitions. Art installations often use several rooms within the museum.
There are two other Freud Museums, one in Vienna, and another in Příbor, the Czech Republic, in the house where Sigmund Freud was born. The latter was opened by president Václav Klaus and four of Freuďs great-grandsons.
The Freuds were able to move all of their furniture and household effects to London. The star exhibit in the museum is Freud's psychoanalytic couch. There are also Biedermeier chests, tables and cupboards, and a collection of 18th and 19th century Austrian painted country furniture. The museum owns Freud's collection of Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and Oriental antiquities, and his reference library. The collection includes a portrait of Freud by Salvador Dalí. The study and library were preserved by Anna Freud after her father's death. The bookshelf behind Freud's desk contains some of his favorite authors: not only Goethe and Shakespeare but also Heine, Multatuli and Anatole France. Freud acknowledged that poets and philosophers had gained insights into the unconscious which psychoanalysis sought to explain systematically. In addition to the books, the library contains various pictures hung as Freud arranged them; these include 'Oedipus and the Riddle of the Sphinx' and 'The Lesson of Dr Charcot' plus photographs of Martha Freud, Lou Andreas-Salomé, Yvette Guilbert, Marie Bonaparte, and Ernst von Fleischl.
History and time period
The house had only finished being built in 1920 in the Queen Anne Style. A small sun room in a modern style was added at the rear by Ernst Ludwig Freud that same year. Freud was over eighty at this time, and he died the following year, but the house remained in his family until his youngest daughter Anna Freud, who was a pioneer of child therapy, died in 1982.
Museum hours: Wednesday-Sunday - 12:00 PM to 5:00 PM