Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility no|
|Geographical Coordinates 45.43434,12.33878|
In 1999, thanks to the collaboration of public and private enterprises, both from Italy and abroad, a big work of restoration began: many memorials have been saved and classified. More than 1000 of them can be dated from between 1550 and the early 18th century.
Now this suggestive place, a witness of centuries of Venetian Jewish History, has once again found its dignity.
The Republic of Venice gave the Jews the possibility to create a cemetery of their own in 1386. The Jews were given a non cultivated, piece of land in St. Nicholas of Lido, whose property was claimed by the monastery at Lido di Venezia.
At the end of the disputation with the monks, the cemetery, starting from 1389, was used with no interruptions and later made bigger reaching its top expansion in 1641.
After this date, the widening of system of fortification of the Lido, wanted by the Serenissima Republic to defend itself from the Turks, brought to a slow but constant reshaping of the cemetery spaces southbound. Until, in 1736 the "University of Jews" was forced to buy a piece of land bordering it.
The fall of the Venetian Republic, the foreigner occupations and the consequent vandalistic acts, as well as the atmospheric agents, brought to the disappearance of many monuments and to the ruin of the Jewish cemetery.
In the 19th century, because of the project to make the Lido of Venice healthier and competitive, part of the Cemetery (now belonging to the state) was expropriated and bound to other uses.
Later, some attempts to restore it began, without outcome and in 1938 the cemetery was definitely abandoned.