Welcome to World Jewish Heritage
Rediscover your heritage like never before
|Location Principado de Asturias, Spain|
|Open to visitors yes|
|Need appointment no|
|Handicap accessibility yes|
|Geographical Coordinates 43.3614,-5.85933|
The castle marks one of the two major landmarks of the city of Estella.
Since 2000, the castle has been sight to numerous archaeological excavations. These excavations have revealed many intricacies of the castle which were previously unknown. It was discovered that the internal design of the castle varied. In the highest point, a semicircular tower was placed that crowned the set. A rain tank and chapel to San Salvador was also found in the lower parts of the castle. The most significant building was found in the third enclosure, and contained areas reserved for the lodging of the kings. The exterior of this enclosure, where the stables of the castle could be found, has also been partially excavated.
History and time period
It is believed that the castle came into existence in 1024. The castle was considered a strategic advantage in the defense of the kingdom of Navarre as in 1203, King Alfonso VIII of Castile and King Alfonso IX of Leon attacked Navarre, centering the attack in Estella, Diego Lopez of Biscay.
In addition to the extensions and reforms of Zalatambor, the defense of the city was further enforced through the construction of a new castle, Belmecher, in 1276, and one watchtower. The fortifications were united by a wall forming the enclosure to castelar of Estella, which was completely independent of the city.
In 1512, the coalition between Beaumontesa-Castilian conquered the castle, yet to be used until 1572. Today, the enclave of “the Castles of Estella” is in declaration process BIC .